When You Think Your Employer Owes Wages

There are a number of reasons why an employee might think his or her paycheck is wrong. Sometimes, an employer can make innocent errors while processing the payroll. Other times, it is as simple as the employee forgetting to clock in for a shift.

Regardless of the reason, what happens when you are owed wages for work completed and your employer fails meet payment obligations?

Reasonable Attempts to Secure Compensation

When all reasonable attempts at recouping wages have failed, it may be time to hire an attorney. However, what are those reasonable attempts?

  1. Contact your supervisor and ask for documentation. If you are missing hours or overtime from your paycheck, request the hourly wage report that is created when payroll is processed. Compare your schedule and timesheet with the report. It may be a clerical error that can be easily corrected.
  2. When a supervisor refuses to assist you in exploring your wage discrepancy, follow your company guidelines and approach the next person up in management. Always be professional and provide as much documentation as possible to support your claim.

Your problem may not be as black or white as a payroll error. You may be the victim of a much larger issue. For example, perhaps you have been working more than 40 hours a week at an hourly or salary rate, and you have wrongly been informed that your position does not offer overtime pay. Is your company failing to pay you according to the correct employee classification? Were you expecting a company bonus and your payment was wrongfully denied? Are improper deductions being taken out of your paycheck? Are you improperly required to "tip out" other employees? Are you illegally paid a waiter/waitress hourly rate of pay while performing non-tipped duties?

When it appears that unfair employment practices are in play, it is time to speak to with a legal professional – one who represents employees and isn't afraid to stand up to large corporations with legal departments of their own.

Fagan McManus, P.C., is ready to assist you with your wage and hour claims. Give us a call today to discuss your case.